Our World is a Shared Responsibility
At Shawmut, we take sustainability seriously. Shouldn’t every printer?
From the energy used in our facilities; to how we source materials; and everything in between—there are countless opportunities for printers to make a positive impact in our vast supply chain. We have a holistic approach to sustainability that goes beyond foundational recycling programs and includes certifications like the Sustainable Green Printing Partnership and FSC.
We also believe sustainability stretches far beyond the walls of our facility. Through our partnership with SGP, we’re committed to working collaboratively with other printers, print buyers, suppliers, and supporting organizations to drive sustainable business practices that today’s customers demand.
Everyone Plays a Role in Sustainability
- Printers must source solutions that lower operating costs and reduce waste while delivering superior products and services;
- Marketers and print buyers must uphold the integrity of corporate responsibility platforms by seeking truly sustainable print solutions;
- Suppliers must strive to support a more sustainable supply chain by providing the technology that drives sustainable print;
- And Associations must drive the entire supply chain and sustainable printing community forward through education and engagement.
Our Sustainability Framework
What does it take to be sustainable?
It’s a mindset. It means having a shared commitment to finding innovative ways to reduce, reuse, and conserve. And it underscores everything we do.
Shawmut’s sustainability framework is built on the Sustainable Green Printing Partnership model—the most comprehensive in the industry. Using SGP’s proven approach our sustainability policy addresses the impacts of our products, services, and operations across three pillars:
- People: This starts with an awareness of our sustainability policy to our employees, customers, and vendors. We ask for their support in our efforts to reduce our environmental footprint and follow all facility guidelines for managing and disposing of waste.
- Planet: Our collective belief is to create printed collateral in the most sustainable way possible. We understand that we’re part of the world community first and a print facility second.
- Prosperity: Our intent is to become more than just a preferred print vendor. It’s about meeting a customer’s needs and seeking purposeful partnerships.
It’s why we worked hard to become an SGP-certified printer and continue to reduce our environmental impact through ongoing improvements, innovation and training.
Our Sustainability Commitment
The most important part of any sustainability policy is continuous, measurable improvement. Each year our sustainability committee identifies at least one continuous improvement project with measurable objectives so that we may demonstrate progress.
Our continuous improvement goal for 2019:
Recycle all plastics with the “chasing arrows” symbols 1–7, reducing trash volume by 5%.
What it Means to Be SGP Certified
Becoming an SGP-certified printer is no easy feat. It is the most rigorous and comprehensive sustainability certification in the industry. SGP ensures that certified printers meet or exceed strict sustainability criteria in their manufacturing process and monitors progress through an SGP Impact Tracker and bi-annual third-party audits.
In order to become SGP certified, sustainable printing facilities are required to:
- Pass environmental, health and safety, and energy audits
- Complete successful indoor air quality tests
- Maintain documentation strategy for Best Management Practices
- Develop an employee team to coordinate sustainability efforts
- Reduce waste and hazardous materials
- Conserve energy
- Source sustainable materials
- Lower its carbon footprint
- Create a safer workplace
- Conform to all relevant environmental, health, safety & labor laws
- Adopt a comprehensive annual continuous improvement project
- Undergo a third-party recertification audit every two years
With hard work, comes great rewards for people and our planet. SGP increases business opportunities among brands committed to sustainability while growing profits by reducing resource consumption and waste. It also provides transparent, measurable assurance that SGP-certified facilities will help print buyers meet and exceed sustainability goals.
As one of the first printers in New England to become SGP-certified, Shawmut is proud to join the ranks of hundreds of other environmentally-responsible printers, associations, and national brands such as Wal-Mart and REI.